The below guide is written for reference only. Managing payment items on your own is entirely optional. If you would like to make any changes to your account and would prefer direct assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to MuniciPAY support at email@example.com or (877) 590-5097.
Payment Item Basics
Any user set up as a Customer Admin can add, remove or edit Payment Items. These are made up of multiple parts:
First is the Payment Item, which is a "container" for line items, controls certain properties of the item, such as Over the Counter (OTC) / E-Commerce (Ecom visibility, Reference Number labels, mapping, tax sale dates, etc.)
Within each Payment Item, there is at least one Line Item. Line items represent a specific item being paid for. They can have fixed or editable amounts and different deposit account (payees) from one line item to another.
Additional Data fields are fields that can be manually configured to capture any data that might be relevant to the sale. This information will not print on MuniciPAY receipts, but will be presented on the transaction detail page for the sale. These can be simple and general, such as a field for “Address” or extremely specific, such as a 7 digit numeric only field called “Invoice” for example.
Note: If you would like a new item to deposit into a bank account not yet on file, please contact MuniciPAY at firstname.lastname@example.org
For Example, you may create a Payment Item called “Business License” that contains 3 Line Items, “Business License”, “Permit” and “Notary Fee.” The License and permit are being deposited to the “Treasury” Payee, and the Notary Fee is going to a different bank account: the “Notary” Payee. You also intend to collect the Business Name as an additional data field. A graphical representation of these components and their relation to one another are displayed below.
New Payment Item Step By Step:
To begin, navigate to the Department you want to create the payment item in, using the Customers tab.
On the department details screen, scroll down to the "Payment Items" section, and select +New
Now, you can begin to create the Payment Item. (Remember, this can contain multiple line items.)
Note: Be aware that if your Municipality utilizes the Service Fee model, the "Fee Enabled" flag turns on by default and a fee must be selected in the Fee field in order to save the payment item.
- Name - Text - the Name of the Payment item
- Payee - Drop Down - Select the appropriate Payee for the Payment Item- note that only Payees accessible to this Customer will be displayed.
- Customers - Multi-Select - Select any and all departments that should be able to process transactions for this item.
- Reference Number Label - Text - Label for the reference number field that is tied to this specific payment item.
- Confirm Reference Number (E-Com Only) - Yes/No - Forces user to re-enter payment item reference number and produce a match in E-commerce scenarios.
- Description - Text - Similar to a 'Notes' field- contains information regarding payment item. Visible on Payment Item details page to users.
- Fee Enabled - On/Off - Controls whether or not a Service Fee is applied to this payment item. On by default and required for service fee model customers.
- Fees - Multi-Select – Must be added for service fee model customers.
- Over the Counter Visible - Yes/No - Enables/Disables the Item for use in Over the Counter transactions.
- E-Commerce Visible - Yes/No - Enables/Disables the Item for use in E-Commerce transactions.
- Trans Code - Code assigned to the item for use in File Handling cases.
- Disable - Disable the item based on a date range. Frequently used in Tax Sale scenarios.
- Message - Text - Message that is displayed when a disabled item is selected.
Once the item is created, You will be prompted to add a Line Item (A payment item must contain at least 1 line item).
Line Item Settings Screen:
LINE ITEM SETTINGS OVERVIEW:
- Name - Text - Name of the specific line item.
- Hover Text - Text - Message that displays when hovering the cursor over the line item name.
- Amount - Numeric - Amount of the line item. Left blank will allow user to fill in the amount. Setting an amount will create a default value.
- Over the Counter Editable - Yes/No - Allows OTC users to edit the amount of the line item.
- E-Commerce Editable - Yes/No - Allows E-commerce customers to edit the amount of the line item.
- Payee - Drop Down - Allows the line item to target a different payee then the overall payment item. By default, line items inherit the Payment Items payee setting.
- Description - Text - Similar to a 'Notes' field- contains information regarding payment item. Visible on Line Item details page to Customer and Super users.
Once successfully added, your Line Item will appear in this section:
Additional line items can be added. An example of multiple line items, with one fixed amount, is below:
You can also add Additional Data fields in the Fields section:
ADDITIONAL DATA SETTINGS OVERVIEW
- Display Label - Text - Label for the Add'l data field.
- Help Text - Text - Message that displays when hovering over the data field.
- Alphanumeric - Field will accept Letters and Numbers, but no Special characters or spaces.
- Text - Field will accept all types of characters, letters, numbers, spaces, and special characters. (recommended, least restrictive)
- Number (Value) - Field will accept a Number, within the value range provided.
- Number (length) - Field will accept a Number, within the length range provided.
- Min Length/Value - The Minimum length or value accepted by the system.
- Max Length/Value - The Maximum length or value accepted by the system.
- Referenceable - Yes/No – Not currently in use.
- Searchable - Yes/No - Not currently in use.
OVER THE COUNTER
- Enabled - Yes/No - Controls whether or not the field is presented during OTC transactions.
- Required - Yes/No - Controls whether or not the field is required during OTC transactions.
- Enabled - Yes/No - Controls whether or not the field is presented during E-Com transactions.
- Required - Yes/No - Controls whether or not the field is required during E-Com transactions.
- Transfer Mapping Field - Code assigned to the data field item for use in File Handling/Uploaded Invoice scenarios.
With all these settings selected, the resulting payment item looks like this: